Prepare for success at CLI:
CLI innovative academic program supports international students with their transition into a Canadian private
school environment leading to university or college entrance.

  • Teachers are government-certified professionals in their subject area
  • Instruction is based on the government of Ontario curriculum and the prescribed learning outcomes for
    each curriculum area.
  • Students will receive instructions in the core subjects of English, mathematics, science and planning.
  • Each subject will support students who are learning English as a second language
  • The program includes a variety of co-curricular and extracurricular activities in and around Toronto
  • Each instructional day, students will have a study-hall session as part of their program of study
  • Upon successful completion, students are eligible for Ontario High School credits or Ontario Secondary
    School Diploma based on the number of course that they complete
  • Students may enter the program at anytime within six weeks of the start date.


All students who enrol through CLI receive a comprehensive Servicing and Guardianship package which

  • Consultation and advice regarding selection of the appropriate school for each candidate.
  • Each student is assigned a specific coordinator who will assist the student and his/her agent to select the
    best school choices based on expectation, needs and current academic standing
  • Registration, and communication procedures are all handled by your coordinator
  • Airport reception upon arrival in Canada. A staff or representative will meet each student at his/her
    arrival gate (if applicable).
  • Appointment of a dedicated CLI co-ordinator to aid, monitor and visit the student throughout his or her
    stay. Our coordinators maintain communication with the student through phone, email, chat, skype
    etc.  Our coordinators also arrange visits 2x per 5 month period.
  • Legalization and co-validation of student transcript if required.  This process begins in late June, early
  • July once all student transcripts are released by the school and is usually completed within 6-8 weeks.
  • Assistance with renewal of study permits for students planning to return for another academic year.  If
    done prior to April, we will ensure that you return home for summer holidays with your new study
    permit in hand (visa renewal fees apply)


Q: Does my child need a visa to enter Canada or to attend this Program?
A: Students planning to attend a full-year school programme (6 months or more) will require a Canadian Study
Permit. This permit must be received prior to the student’s arrival in Canada. Students who come for a
programme with duration of six months or less do not require a Study Permit. Students coming from certain
countries may also require a Temporary Resident Visa (TVR). Please refer to the Canadian Citizenship and
Immigration website for a complete outline of the requirements and policies for study in Canada:
For study in the province of Quebec:  an additional study permit known as the CAQ (Certificate d'acceptation
du Quebec) is also required, in addition to the Canadian Study Permit.  The CAQ must be applied for and
received prior to applying for the regular Study Permit.  CISS staff assists students to obtain the CAQ from
within Canada, while the Study Permit must then be obtained in your country of residence.
Q: Does Canada have any restrictions on the number of Study Permits (visas) given to international
A: No. Unlike other countries where the government restricts the number of study visas for public school
placement, Canada does not impose such restrictions. Provided the student satisfies the requirements of
Immigration Canada, he/she should be granted a visa. This visa can be extended for continued study past the
first year.
Q. Do we have any choice as to where our child will study?
A: Yes. As a family you may select the province and region or city in which you would like your child to study.
You may also select the length of time your child wishes to study in Canada – short term (4 months or less), one
semester (5 months) or one year (10 months).  Specific start and end dates apply for semester and full academic
year options.  Credits may be earned provided the student remains for an entire semester or full year, and writes
the final exam in their course.
Q. Who will receive my child when he/she arrives at the airport?
A. CLI staff or your child’s host family will meet your child at the airport upon arrival.
If your child is registered as an Unaccompanied Minor (UM), the person CLI has designated during the UM
registration will personally receive your child.
Q: What is the minimum level of English needed to apply to a Canadian School?
A: CLI High recommends that students have at minimum an Intermediate level of English proficiency to fully
participate in a school programme. However, we do offer comprehensive English as a Second Language (ESL)
programs. In such instances, students may apply with a lower English proficiency and can expect to have some
or the majority of their classes in an ESL-supported environment.  Lower English proficiency may hinder a
student's ability to be placed in courses required for co-validation (depending on the country).  Students
intending to apply to the final year (Grade 12) must have a high proficiency to be considered.


CLI HIGH E-mail:
Q. Do I need to purchase emergency travel medical insurance for my child?
A. All students attending a school programme in Canada must be covered by emergency medical insurance. For
many placements, you may purchase your insurance for your child, either through a company in your own
country, or through an insurance company in Canada.

Please discuss the requirements with your agent prior to arrival in Canada.
Q. Does my child need to wear a uniform at school?
A: CLI does not require a formal uniform, although all follow a dress code reflecting good judgment and taste.
Offensive slogans, torn jeans and hats are generally not permitted at school.
Q. My child needs to co-validate his/her transcripts at the end of the stay. Is this possible?
A: Provided your child has attended one full semester (5 months) or a full school year (10 months) at his/her
Canadian school, has written all necessary exams, has successfully completed all required work, and has
obtained a passing grade, he or she will be granted with a credit for each class completed. In most
provinces, students take 4 classes per semester.  All grades will be provided to you on an official school
transcript. CLI will assist with the co-validation process here in Canada which includes authorizations by both
the Canadian government as well as your own country's embassy/consulate. Please allow six weeks to eight
weeks from end of the school year/semester for this process to be completed in Canada.
If your child has attended for a short-term only, transcripts cannot be issued and co-validation is not possible as
he/she will not have completed all requirements for credit.
Q: Can my child graduate from a Canadian high school?
A: Yes, provided he/she completes the required components for the high school diploma.  Most High
School programs follow a 4-year programme, beginning in grade 9 and ending in grade 12.  In each grade level,
students complete a set number of mandatory courses, as well as a set number of elective courses.  Depending
on the age, grade level and English proficiency with which an international student arrives, he/she should expect
to spend a minimum of 2 years – grades 11 and 12 in a Canadian high school to complete all requirements.

Q: Must the student maintain a certain grade point level to remain in the programme?
A: The minimum standard in Canadian schools is generally 50{4bb45b5686dd92d7081c21c3614b10c6729c47d6f74243ff2706f4a5c8f80d13}. Anything less is considered a failing grade.
Provided the student maintains over 50{4bb45b5686dd92d7081c21c3614b10c6729c47d6f74243ff2706f4a5c8f80d13} in most of his/her classes, the student will be able to remain at the
school. If the student wishes to return for another year schools may require a grade point of 60{4bb45b5686dd92d7081c21c3614b10c6729c47d6f74243ff2706f4a5c8f80d13} or higher to
consider the student for re-enrolment.
Q: Must my child begin school in September and end in June?
A: If the student intends to study for the full academic year (10 months), then yes, he/she must begin in
September. However, CLI High programme offers flexibility. Students may choose to come for the full year
(September – June), one semester (September – January or February – June), or even as few as a few weeks (4-


CLI HIGH E-mail:

16 weeks). Only the full-year and semester programs have specified start and end dates. Students coming for a
short-term stay (4 weeks to 4 months) may arrive mid-term provided it is not during holidays or exam periods.
NOTE:  if a student must receive credit (and co-validate), then only a Full Year or Semester programme should
be considered.
Q: What is a typical school day in Canada?
A: CL students will follow a timetable similar to this:
Monday – Friday  School begins between 8:30 and 9:00 am
Classes  typically are 70 to 80 minutes in length & students usually take four or five classes daily
Lunch  usually one class period or one hour in length – between 10:30 and 2:00 pm
School Ends  between 2:30 and 3:30
Q: How will my child travel to and from school?
A: Most students take scheduled public transportation. In cases where the student lives close to the school, he or
she will walk to school.